08 April 2010

Self Reflection

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be." I had a peak at the letter my Professor wrote to the judge today, and it got me thinking. This was not a letter of recommendation, but rather a note from an old friend. This was never intended for my eyes. The other clerks were looking through their files, and I thought I would peak at mine. This is a professor whose class I did very well in, and ended up TAing for in the fall. He had many good things to say, including, that I was a good citizen. He also had some interesting things to say that I had not expected. In his eyes I am rough around the edges, dont dress up, probably come from a unprivileged background, and have trouble with some social cues. This is coming from my favorite professor, the teacher I respected most. I do not even know why any of those negative aspects would be relevant to me being a clerk. He is right about a couple of things, I do not come from a privileged background and I never really cared about how I looked in class. Ok, I also might come off a little rough around the edges at first. However, I never really consider myself as having trouble reading social cues. But does it matter how I consider myself, or am I just what other people see me as? I had never had that many interactions with the professor, so I racked my brain trying to pin point where his idea could have gotten that idea. We had never interacted in social circumstances, all our interactions had been academically related. It is strange to see yourself in another persons eyes. Clearly me and the prof come from different backgrounds. I went to an small hippie liberal arts school and he went to Harvard for our undergrad. He is Catholic and I am Jewish and there must be many other cultural differences. I wonder if we have differing expectations of social cues. Perhaps we can never really know who we are until we see ourselves though someone else.

4 comments:

Jamie said...

It is usually at least slightly painful to hear genuine criticism from someone you respect. But it is also the most helpful. Possibly he was referring to how you interacted with other students in the class. Like if you were overly argumentative. It might in some ways be a good quality for a lawyer, but you have to be a team player too. Or maybe it is related to your underpriviledgedness. Like people who come from money have a slightly different way about them that is difficult for poor folk to fake.
I would look at this as a growth opportunity. It seems like all three negative comments are centered on how you present yourself so try to be mindful of that. think about how people who are older or have a different background or different values might see you in the most superficial ways: your clothes, your greeting, your small talk, even your posture and handshake. Now that you are big business you have to be big business in all your dealings, even in ways that might seem unimportant. I dealt with this a lot when I was becoming a teacher, both in how I dressed and how I spoke to superiors, and I felt the experience was very valuable even beyond the workplace.

GeorgeCostanza'sNumberOneFan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
GeorgeCostanza'sNumberOneFan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
GeorgeCostanza'sNumberOneFan said...

Would George Costanza have any advice for you? He might really get offended and go back to the professor and go tell him you said "what" about me? and start a scene that might get him kicked out of law school or at least end his relationship with this professor... Please don't do this.

Seems like the professor said both positive and negative things about you. It means that you are balanced. You're just like the rest of us. We can't be all good. Brian, you are a great charismatic, talented future lawyer.
Don't only focus on the criticism.

I concur with Jamie about the criticism though.

Criticism is a learning tool. For a poor client it might be good to be rough around the edges, but for judges and the well to do. It might be good to make yourself appear lawyerly. As for the social cues... good luck with that :-). By the way, my answer to this is why I deleted the other comments.
I see this social cues thing as a reflection of your enthusiasm and general energy. Your enthusiasm is a good thing,... but if you feel this is something you want to work at, you can talk to someone professionally or social. These are all things that can be learned.

-GCNOF
-GCNOF