22 December 2009

RIP Frank McCourt


I just realized Frank McCourt passed away this year. July 19, 2009. I wondered if I missed it at the time or just forgot? It was the weekend of my Tahoe Swim Relay.

I read his ob piece in the New York Times.

here it is...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/20/books/20mccourt.html


I enjoyed his books tremendously. I read all three. Angela's Ashes, 'Tis, and Teacher Man.
If I ever write a memoir it will be because of him. (ok, a little melodramatic; exaggerated.)
I also like how he writes about his teaching. To McCourt! If you haven't read his work you're missing out. No one does childhood or adult life, quite like the Irish. And McCourt captures it beautifully and memorably.

And remember to share with us at Georgetown Tales, your Spam stories. (Georgetown Tales is not liable for any harm to persons, possessions or computers, resulting from investigations into your Spam e-mail. You do that at your own risk. We especially caution against traveling to Nigeria to gain inheritance or to attend funeral proceedings for dead relatives [that are not on your family tree]). Nonetheless, we relish in hearing your stories.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Jamie said...

Yes, Angela's Ashes was really incredible and his later books were good too. I liked Teacher Man.

Jamie said...

I was looking at this article again and I thought of something that occurred to me when I read Teacher Man. In "Angela's Ashes" the disengagement or complete absence of his father seemed like a very formative part of his childhood. Then in "Teacher Man", it seemed like his relationship to his students felt very paternal. But he didn't seem to spend a lot of time with his actual kids. Maybe it was just how he told the story, but it seemed very ironic and kind of sad. I only read the betginnig of "Tis". Maybe it was dealt with more in the 2nd book.