20 March 2009

Not Sushi


Snapsan, Kraklesan, Popsan


We made a bunch of sushi a couple weekends ago. People wolfed it down so fast I didn't get any pictures. Most people made veggie rolls, some of which we "tempuraed" - the Japanese equivalent of a scotch egg. But that is not our story today...

The next day I had a lot of left over sticky rice which got me thinking of different kinds of non-sushi foods that you could make into rice covered rolls. I should back up for a moment and mention that someone brought rice-crispy-treat fruishi (fantastic, see above) to dinner so not-sushi was already in the air. I started traditional: musubi (in honor of our new prez) and noodle rolls (not so good, but ramen was a dime a piece). Then I took a sharp left...

First I made a batch of mac and cheese and let it congeal in the fridge (It is very rare that a recipe with the word "congeal" is any good, but bare with me). Then I mixed up some raw meatloaf, smooshed it into a rough approximation of a square sheet between two pieces of wax paper and rolled up the mac and cheese. About 15 min in the oven, slice, serve with ketchup and the Comfort-Fusion movement is born.

For my next trick I went back to fundamentals: I started with a square of pressed out sticky rice. But instead of Japanese ingredients, I rolled up slices of braunschweiger, slivered pickle and a long squirt of mustard. Ladies and germs, I give you:
The Axis Roll!

1 comment:

GeorgeCostanza'sNumberOneFan said...

you gonna star in a cooking show anytime soon? Capitan, glad you're back to blogging, picking up the slack for us, well... slackers.