21 January 2007

When things come out the wrong way-Part One


So this morning I vomited for the third time in a year and a half. And this was a good vomit too. I kept throwing up until there was nothing left to throw up. I was at the end of a Sunday morning swim workout. Three or four vomits. I made it to the men's bathroom, but not quite the toilet. Pretty much all water or clear liquid. Either pool water or water from my water bottle, which was pretty nasty. I just told the lifeguard it was really went in the men's bathroom. I didn't eat anything this morning, so that might have had something to do with it, but then I would have had some solids to throw up. Throwing up isn't so bad if it's all liquid.

I don't throw up often. I've only thrown up once because of alcohol and don't remember that. That was the only time I've blacked out because of alcohol. I'm not like a certain cousin that grew up in San Fran and ate a bunch of spicy ethnic food. I've got a strong stomach, eat bland food and pretty much can remember every time I threw up since being ten. I used to hate throwing up, feeling like I might die. Does anyone ever die of throwing up? I love telling people my throw up stories. So here goes. (This is the first of a four part series)

Memory One: Driving up to Tahoe, something I did numerous times as a kid. We stopped at Burger King, my or maybe my dad's favorite fast food place on the way up to Tahoe. I got the chicken tenders. Went to sleep. We got up to the new house, at King's Beach. At this point my family was still leasing a cabin for the winter. We now own one at the lovely Alpine Meadows. As soon as we entered the cabin, a just heaved and deposited a bunch of chewed up chicken tenders on the beige carpeting. No self control. no even trying to get to the toilet, just stopped and vomited. I went on many other ski trips. This was my first memory of vomiting. There was even the notorious Red Dog Lodge at Bear Valley. But I don't really remember that story. J?

Editor's Note: Jeff and his family avoided Burger King for a few years. Opting instead for the safer confides of Wendy's and Carl's Jr. In fact Jeff's favorite burger became the Western Bacon Cheeseburger at Carl's Jr with onion rings and BBQ sauce. It was seven years later (est.) as a teenager before Jeff had the courage to try the chicken tenders again. He forgot how good they tasted. But the memory still lingers and it is tough for him to order them. (Especially since BK has such tasty burgers.)

1 comment:

El Capitan! said...

Oddly engaging post. If I were to write a vomitus memoir, it would be so long, I'd call it War & Puke.